Online Roulette Game Glossary
Below you shall find roulette terms and definitions that will aid you with your Roulette game. Many of these words are frequently heard around the roulette table. Becoming familiar with at least some of these terms will help you in understanding the game better and in grasping strategies that will improve your chances of winning while you play roulette online.
This glossary will be revised intermittently to include new terms and polish the definitions of existing terms.
Terms used in Roulette
- American Wheel - a roulette wheel with 38 numbers total. Compared to a European wheel which only has 37 numbers, the american wheel has the 00, which allows for the 5 number bets.
- Ball - the small white ball that is spun in the roulette wheel. Fortunes are made and lost when this ball settles into one of the roulette slots.
- Column Bet - when you bet on a vertical column of 12 possible numbers at a time. The payout for this type of bet is 2 to 1.
- Combination Bet - when you bet on more than one possible outcome at a time.
- Corner Bet - when you bet on one of four possible numbers landing at one time. The payoff is 8 to 1.
- Dozen Bet - similar to the column bet, in that you are wagering on one of three different possible groups of numbers hitting; 1-12, 13-24, or 25 to 36.
- European Wheel - Similar to the American wheel, except there is no 00. This means that the odds of winning are slightly increased.
- Even - Odd Bet - when you bet on either odd or even showing up on the wheel. The payoff for this type of bet is 1 to 1 .
- French roulette wheel - Piece of equipment used to determine the winning number and color; the French roulette wheel has no double zero compartment.
- High - Low Bet - when you bet on either a high number (19-36) or low number (1-18) showing up on the wheel. Similar to an even / odd bet, it pays 1 to 1.
- Inside Bet - any bet placed on the number grid part of the table.
- Martingale Roulette System - A class of betting strategies popular in 18th-century France which had the player double his bet after every loss
- Odds - In probability theory and statistics the odds in favour of an event or a proposition are the quantity.
- Outside Bet - any bet other than a number bid. These would include red, black, odd, even, etc.
- Red-Black Bet - when you bet on either a red colored or black colored number showing up on the wheel. Pays 1 to 1.
- Split Bet - A combination bet, where you bet on two possible numbers landing.
- Straight Up Bet - betting on one possible number showing up on the wheel. Pays 35 to 1.
- Trio Bet - A combination bet, where you bet on one of three possible numbers landing.
- Zero, Double Zero - Green in color, at opposite sides of the wheel. The Double Zero only exists on an American wheel.
From the Online Casinos USA team